Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Walking an Old Favorite

When Diesel, Mikey and I first moved to this neighborhood, we started out talking fairly short walks just around the local streets till I could get a feel for how far was too far and which roads I should avoid.  One of our first walks that wandered out of the hood was down and around the trail and back again using a road named Leach.

Diesel and I would head north down our street as usual, pick up the trail in the normal spot and head east.  Once we got to the first crossroad we'd turn right and start heading down Leach.  The name Leach doesn't leave much to the imagination, and honestly its not a very appealing street to walk down, but served its purpose.  Leach is gravel road that is actually pretty busy in the evenings. It's unlike other streets in the area because it has this odd mixture of residential and commercial properties.  Most of the business look as if they were started from people's homes to being with, many of them being landscaping or contractor services.  There's a small church, and quite a few decent little homes on more than decent size lots. 

Meadowbrook Ice Cream Co
Amongst the streets business are two that you may be familiar with.  The first being is the Meadowbrook Ice Cream Company which is known around town for its ice cream truck delivery of the cold treats on those hot summer evenings.  Meadowbrook Ice Cream Company also rents ice cream carts and trucks for any special event you may be having.  Just a few years ago, the company I worked for purchased ice cream novelties for our entire department of over 200 employees!

Allen Brothers Inc.
Another familiar business Allen Brothers, Inc.  Allen Brothers specializes in residential, commercial, and solar roofing options.  Recently, Gary and Robert Allen were invited to the President's State of the Union Address

Today's walk wasn't very long, just under 2.5 miles.  And it didn't take us very long.  We still had plenty of time to get some fresh air, ponder the days most recent events and meet a few more neighbors (Diesel's a friend to anyone that has treats!). 

When I first started walking today, I wasn't sure what I was going to write about.  I'd like to start featuring more of the local businesses and locations around town, and really start providing more of a service to my readers than just blah, blah, blah about where Diesel and I have stomped around.  I'd like to pose a few questions to my readers with the hopes that you can provide some feedback in the comments below:

What would you like to see more of in our blog? Pictures? Events? Businesses? My worldly opionions? 

Secondly, Diesel and I meet a lot of new people while we're out on our walks, and we'd like to share our blog with them.  A larger audience can help us shape this blog into what our readers want to see.  Would it be appropriate to print up a business card of sorts and passing them out when we meet interested people? Maybe post small flyers at local businesses?  

Let me know what you think.  Your opinions and comments are always welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment